4-H offers a wide variety of subject matter through its many projects. Youth enrolled in community clubs will have the opportunity to take part in many of the projects with the assistance of a project leader. The Kansas 4-H site has a number of excellent resources for projects. Although there is a wealth of information on the State Project Pages, Meadowlark District 4-Hers must use district project record sheets, not the state generic record sheet found on those pages.
Check out the project pages and the library of publications to see what materials are available. You can explore the State Project Selection Guide and the Meadowlark project selection guide. Here are some citizenship ideas for 4-H projects.
Our district maintains an inventory of the Ohio State Learning Labs in a variety of projects. The following projects are available for check out: Beef, Dairy, Dog, Goat, Horse, Plant Science, Poultry, Rabbit, Sheep, Swine.
Some Frequently Asked Questions:
Q- How many projects should a 4-H member enroll in?
A- There are no firm rules for how many projects a member should enroll in. However, beginning members may want to limit their project selection to one or two for the first year. Older 4-H members may want to consider all obligations for their time as they select projects. Consider time commitments for school, extra curricular activities, work and social schedules.
Q- What if I don’t see the project I am interested in on the list?
A- Let us know what project you are interested in, and we will do our best to try to accommodate for that. There is a self-determined project that those youth interested in something that is not on the list can be entered in.
Livestock Ownership Guidelines
Visit your local office page for more specific fair related rules.
Livestock Judging Resources - see the links below
K-State 4-H livestock judging manual
Iowa State University 4-H Livestock Judging Resources page
University of Kentucky Animal & Food Sciences
Mississippi State 4-H Livestock Judging manual
Texas A&M Judging Manual
In order to show livestock at the Kansas State Fair & the Kansas Junior Livestock show, livestock must have the EID tag in place before entry time. Meadowlark District is utilizing this technology at the local level as well. Here is some general Electronic ID tag information.
Nomination information can be found below.
- State Livestock Nomination Information
- Rookie Guide to Livestock Nominations
- 4-H EID Tagging Guidelines
Below is a list of the many projects our 4-H'ers may participate in:
- Meat Goat Project Guide
- Meat Goat Showmanship
- Colorado Meat Goat Project Manual
- Market Meat Goat Livestock Guide
- Meat Goat Showmanship Video
- Virtual Showmanship Clinic
- Market Lamb Project Guide
- Market Lamb Livestock Guide
- Sheep Showmanship Video
- Sheep Virtual Showmanship Clinic
- 2015 Swine Project Guide
- Swine Tagging Instructions
- Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus (PEDV) - What Is It?
- Recommendations for Exhibitors of Swine
- Ear Notch Chart
- Swine Tagging Guidelines
- Market Swine Livestock Guide
- Swine Showmanship Video
Estimating Pig Weights - Do you need help estimating your 4-H pig's weight? This link will show you how to measure and estimate the weight.
Communication & Expressive Arts
Consumer & Family Science
Sewing & Textile Design (Construction)
Shopping in Style (Buymanship)
- Fair Food Safety Info
- Fair Frosting Safety
- Food Preservation Labels
- Food Preservation Informational Video
- Altitude for Food Preservation
- Table Setting Tips and Guide
Engineering & Technology
Engineering & Technology - Includes Aerospace/Rocketry, Ag Mechanics Welding, Astronomy, Building Block Engineering, Computer Science, Electric & Renewable Energy, Robotics, Small Engines, Uncrewed Aircraft Systems and Woodworking
- Space Tech Rules for State Fair
- 2023 Ag Mechanics Exhibit Form
- 2023 Architechural Block Exhibit Form (Legos)
- 2023 Astronomy Exhibit Information Form
- 2023 Computer Exhibit Information Form
- 2023 Rocketry - High Power Exhibit Info Form
- 2023 Rocketry Exhibit Information Form
- Determining Maximum Altitude Online Calculator: https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/rocket/rkthowhi.html
- 2023 Robotics Exhibit Information Form
- 2023 Unmanned Aerial Information Form
Leadership & Personal Development
Civic Engagement (Citizenship)
- How to Start Beekeeping
- How to Buy Bees and Equipment
- How to Build a Beehive
- How to Handle Bees
- How to Install Your Bees (series)
- How to Harvest Honey
- Maintaining Your Bees
- Other Beekeeping Resources
Plant & Environmental Science